Monday, October 05, 2009

The Joy


It is another point of ponder about death. Oh no, I think it is more about life-before-death. Or perhaps I shall rather say the life at final days.

This isn't a new movie. Just because HBO was playing this one last night so I decided to sit down to watch again. Yes, I've watched this before and I still think it has a big room for me to sit in to realize more about life.

I particularly like this one:

"You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got
to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked them two questions and their answers determined
whether they were able to enter or not. 'Have you found joy in your life?' and 'Has your life
brought joy to others?' "

Most of us spent all our life going after many things thinking that owning what we longed for will bring us the true joy. And then we age to realize much of our time were spent running after things that satisfy our desire rather than bringing us the joy we look for.

There is no formula in finding joy. We cannot control anything, much more on the things we thought we own. This journey is suppose to be fun. And so it will be .

[quoted from the movie]
Dear Edward, I've gone back and forth the last few days trying to decide whether or not I should even write this. In the end, I realized I would regret it if I didn't, so here it goes. I know the last time we saw each other, we weren't exactly hitting the sweetest notes-certain wasn't the way I wanted the trip to end. I suppose I'm responsible and for that, I'm sorry. But in all honestly, if I had the chance, I'd do it again. Virginia said I left a stranger and came back a husband; I owe that to you. There's no way I can repay you for all you've done for me, so rather than try, I'm just going to ask you to do something else for me-find the joy in your life. You once said you're not everyone. Well, that's true-you're certainly not everyone, but everyone is everyone. My pastor always says our lives are streams flowing into the same river towards whatever heaven lies in the mist beyond the falls. Find the joy in your life, Edward. My dear friend, close your eyes and let the waters take you home.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this post Doris... love the movie too, but didn't quite catch all the words. You transcribe ah? Thanks for sharing! Btw, my blog is http://fuzzynale.wordpress.com. You're welcome to visit!

Doris said...

Thank you Lena for dropping by. Oh ya I've visited your blog. It's great to know you're connecting with your true self. We are glad that you came to Penang and yes we miss you too. Come back soon, ok?

Joanne said...

hmm... i guess i must hv the scary version of the ancient egyptians believes in death.. my version is when one gets to the gate, the guardian will weight one's heart against a feather.. and if ur heart is heavier it means that you've sin in life.. so will be eaten by the 2 or 3 headed dog/monster..

Doris said...

*lol.

Well, your version has a clearer picture though.

^_^