Friday, May 14, 2010

First Love & Last Love



I just read from a posting on my friend's Facebook wall, which says "Our first love and last love is self love".

Her comment about this statement is "self love?"

I asked her, "Why? You doubt?"

I came across another statement quite some time ago whereby a very good friend said, "One who wishes to love others must love him/herself first. You just can't give away all the love without doing that to yourself."

Another friend of mine once said, "if you ask a little girl 'who's prettier, you or me?' she'll mostly end up patting her own chest saying 'I am' and that sort of honesty comes from the untaught self love".

So what's the love that we see in ourselves?

There is a silver lining between self love and selfish. But having the capability to love ourselves is a nature that we have without being taught. We somehow grow up learning how to share this love with people around us and sometimes we end up giving too much to others than ourselves because of our desire to receive attention in return. But most importantly is this love is something we always carry in us help making who we become.

So by understanding that love is something we appreciate as a gift not only to people but also to ourselves, we found that beauty in each and every person that is vital to create loving life - everyone is loved.

It may sound a little abstract but the simplest and direct way of saying self love is: are you seeing yourself in others? Do you see others in you too?

1 comment:

Burnt Raisin said...

I agree. Catholics have been told that God's second great commandment is to "Love thy neighbor as thyself." In loving ourselves, we are able to love others. Vice versa.

On a personal note, I have come to realize this in a more difficult way.. When I expected others to accept me as I am when in truth, I was grappling with so many personal issues, debating the belief that I was worthy of love myself. I ended up being more hurt. More disappointed..

Not now.. I have slowly inched my way to self-discovery. Indeed, it is rewarding to find more reasons to love ourselves.. Not to the extent of being narcissistic, but to the point of accepting what we are, what we were, and what we can be. =)

Love is beautiful. So are we. =)