Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Length, Width and Depth

I am once again given the opportunity to think about life, when I heard my aunt was dying of 3rd stage cancer. She has never been close to the family, probably because she finds herself distant after so many years of living away from home, after she's sent away adopted by other family. Grandma said the family was too poor to support, but I think the one being given up would cry inside, "why me? Do you not love me anymore?"

I do not know much and I can't explain because that's the earlier generation's situation, which I can't compare and comprehend with my time.

I was at her place when I attended my college life. She offered a place to stay and so both me and my brother moved in. It was only a semester and I've moved to another relative's place (the never ending moving life that I had since 7). I get to know this aunt pretty much when I was at her place. Probably because I am a girl and people always claim girls to be more close to heart than boys, I get to listen to her. She shared her pain and her heart showing how much she wanted and how hard she worked to complete the broken part of her life by really striving her best to build a loving family. But things just didn't really happen as she'd hoped for. Hurdles and obstacles keep coming up and she's slowly fading even she tried so hard to pull them together.

I do not know how to describe precisely what kind of impression and lesson has her life taught me, but I think the most important thing is:

We cannot determine how long we live, but we can decide how we want to live through it and making sure we learn every step of the way.

It is her funeral today.

I hope she'd lived through the one that given her many precious lessons and so to move on to a better one.

Thank you Aunt Gladysce, for sharing your life with me. Although I was rather young during then, but all the things that you've shared will remain to be valuable wisdom throughout my life.

May you rest in peace.


A Tribute to: Aunt Gladysce, 1960-2008

No comments: