Friday, January 23, 2009

Learning

We're brought up in a way hearing, "This for the sake of you, it's for your own good". As if they know so much about us until they know what we want and what is best for us. And somehow I see it being brought down to younger generations.

I do agree that age does make a difference here of course. Grown ups have more experiences, they have seen more things like the Chinese Saying "I walk more bridges than you walk the road".

It could be true in some way because that means they have made more mistakes and seen failures and they do not want us to repeat them.

But it is somehow important that every single being goes through the process of growth in order to become more mature and wiser. We can help ourselves by listening and learning from their experience, but not following everything they said.

Why not? They walked the path, felt the pain and why should we take their steps when we already know (coz they told us) the result, right?

I think this is the part where I realize the beauty of life exist.

We are here to learn, and learning has different interpretations. Either fed, taught or observe can also be a way of learning. We go through the different stages so that we can grow, and what's useful/effective yesterday may no longer be applicable today so what we need to do is really look at ourselves and ask "how can I alleviate myself every single day"; and not sticking our head to the idea of "I've been there. I know precisely. And listen to me will do no wrong. It's for your own good".

We need the space and opportunity to learn to become better, not taking others' safe steps. So do others.

All we need is the understanding and patience when we and others go through the process of discovery. We all might make stupid mistakes but as long as we are alive and survive the falls, we can always climb up again. And every rise brings another meaning, "I have another chance to do better than I did".

Of course we ought to know: it is our duty to learn and progress - it means we know where our mistakes are, move on to become better and not to repeat the same mistakes again.

No comments: