Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Matter Most?

I've been asking myself this question ever since the news that Yasmin Ahmad's decease. Perhaps I am hoping to get a little deeper into seeing my life rather life itself because somehow life differs, which I believe, when people treat it differently.

That day was a memorable day, not because she passed away but I so happen to experience another event that give me a great impact - seeing the view about life and country of a 55-year-old Contemporary Dance pioneer, Datin Marion D'Cruz. And both events just gave me a big big shock, which I can't simply let it flow away just like that.

In Marion's performance, she talked a lot about her younger years. There were more laughters than tears, and more thinking than watching. All through her journey she shared her opinion, with humour but it actually filled with thought provocative statements. And then I thought to myself: how do I see the one life that I have?

I find it very interesting because I found there is one thing in common that we matter: how can we really take what we have inside and show them to the world? We care about so many things and yet we feel helpless when we see things got deteriorated way before it has reach its full maturity.

"Cikgu, kita cubalah!" (note: "teacher, we try-lah"; Malaysian tend to use "lah" at the end of sentence, which has no proper meaning but to show how informal thing is)



Is this a positive or negative statement? Perhaps it depends on the tone when one is speaking this. But please tell me what will happen with constant Gostan-Forward (note: Gostan, moving backward in Malaysian-English) movement?

My eyes got tears when I laughed through her humourous way of showing her aches and concerns, and I heartiestly feeling the same as she did.

And when the news of Yasmin Ahmad came before my eye, I once again ask myself: what matter most if tomorrow never comes?


Yasmin Ahmad (July 1, 1958 - July 25, 2009)
(Please visit Yasmin's blog: The Storyteller and the new one The Storyteller, Part2)

No comments: