Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Dinner

A few years ago, I had the first dream Christmas dinner, at home. We bought those little little lights and decorated our very plain and nothing special dining room into a yellow-lighting-warm-feeling place. Cooked a few dishes (can't remember precisely what we had) and 2 turkey drumsticks. Oh yeh, 2 drumsticks you heard me alright. First, (let me assume you're about to ask me "WHY?") because we have never cooked a whole turkey before; Second, we do not have so many people to bite that big bird ("big bird" always remind me about the big yellow creature in Sesame Street); and Third, IT'S VERY EXPENSIVE!

So we got this marinated turkey drumstick and serve it along with the whole table of other dishes.

Oh ya, that is also the very first time I tasted Guinness Stout, the one people call "black dog" (in Hokkien. Don't ask me why they call it a black dog. I don't know).

Four of us spent a very peaceful and full of cheers dinner. And we have prepared too present to exchange. So how did we get the right present? Easy, we first have draw (like the lucky draw) to see who is our target the present is for, then get the present that we think is most suitable to give. None of us know who got our name, so we were practically waiting for the night before Christmas to find out.

I bought a belt because Joie was looking for one (and of course I just got his name out of the hat); and got a set of bath towel+face towel+hand towel from John (my baby brother). So who was the other one? MOON. A good friend of ours (well back then she wasn't taken and so did my baby brother so we were sort of spending the loving Christmas together). Moon got a chain-neckless, very much the hip-hop style, for John; Joie got a book with the title that resemble Moon's nickname (given by Joie. He call her Fishball-Moon coz she loves fishballs).

============

Couple of years later, today, we had the Christmas dinner at home, again.

But John and Moon aren't around this time. John is on duty, and he would not be joining us too even he's around. He isn't single anymore.

We ran into Moon when we went for last minute food shopping in the evening. We asked her if she has anything going on for the night and she shook her head. We invited her to come but she rejected us.

So we have a 3 person Christmas dinner this year, with my dad (mom's not feeling very well and was resting in the room) but without beautiful lightings (coz I misplace them) and not so much of laughter because it is always with friends we get to feel the ambient (coz my parents aren't our type of funny).

My dad practically spent all his time eating his own food and blah when someone's at the door wanted to see him.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the dinner because I like the feeling of being hugged by comfort and ease. To me Christmas is a time of the year to get close with our love ones and share the moment counting the blessing and cherish the bond.

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you have a very wonderful and loving Christmas, wherever you are...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Doris, i learn abt your blog from facebook :) So, come in to say HI loh. Hope you have a good time during holiday season and the last few days of year 2008. Take care lah :)

Classmate C

Joanne said...

holy crap... did u cook that?? did u did u??

Doris said...

Hi Carina, it is a very pleasant surprise to see you here! Holiday was great and I am looking forward to another new beginning in less than 14hrs from now.

May you and your family be blessed with good health and happiness in the coming year and I sure hope to see you again soon, probably CNY?

Doris said...

Yes Jo I did. Impressive? ^_^

Joanne said...

impressed?!! definitely!! i shld take lessons from u next time.. joie is one lucky dog.. :P