Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What is My Special Gift?

No joke, I believe that everyone is a genius in some way.

When I was younger, I would look up on those who score very beautifully in school. They are always named as "role model" because they always get flying colors. I did work hard to make myself like these people but somehow the circuits in my head just failed me.

So I looked for something else.

I went through the school days, pretty much on, finding "what do I do good?".

I did not do flying colors in exams - TOP STUDENT, GONE (although I like learning new things); I did not do extremely well in sports - ATHLETE, GONE (although I gained my ideal height playing basketball and tanned body with swimming); I did not become the extra popular person in student council or co-curriculum (although I joined the drama club wanted to build charisma but end up diving in my favorite cooling pool) - LEADER, GONE.

Ok, there goes the label "I am ordinary".

So what? (Aww yea, that is typically the no-hope kind of person, or "loser "in short) I did not meet the standard expectation, I admit that. But does that mean I don't deserve my life? Or make me any less important? Or worthless? (you can nod, LIKE I CARE!)

My point is: life isn't just about meeting people's standard, nor becoming who/what others wanted to see. I can be nobody, but hey I am still here, doing my best to shine (can't you see that?).

So what have I found in myself? What is my special gift? I am still exploring, actually. But up until today, I found that I am being myself, hardworking-ly learning to become a better person.

I don't want to be a smart person (if only I could), I don't want solely being what others think as "wooh! ahhh! wahh!"

I may not be significant. But if I am able to see my true self and making my best effort to progress bit by bit, that is good enough already. Because at the ending days it is how I can confront myself without feeling ashamed and I know I have never wasted my life.

==========

Each of us is born with a specific genius that was bestowed upon us so we can do out part to make this world a better place. All of us have a role that we are uniquely suited for. Imagine our planet without trees, oceans, or clouds. In this same way, when one of us does not develop our use our special gift, a cosmic void takes place.

This unique talent of ability may be hidden from our own sight like a golden treasure buried under shifting sands. Often we spend so much time dazzled by the talents of others that we can overlook our own gifts. It may even be that our unique ability is something we view negatively. Perhaps we find it difficult concentrating on any one subject for long; meanwhile others are thrilled by our ability to weave various ideas throughout our conversations. Or, we might think of ourselves as frivolous when it is likely our charming approach to life casts a light of inspiration that others cannot help but follow. It is important for all of us to try to find our special gift and discover how we can best express it. Ask others to name what they think is your most overlooked talent or character trait. Their answer may change your life.

Explore these riches that are ours to express, and we may find ourselves helping others discover and develop their own blessings. Acknowledge and appreciate the gifts we see in those around us. Our unique gifts are like golden rays of expression that can encircle the world with light.

==========

So what is My trait then? I don't know. Perhaps you can help me with this?

2 comments:

Joanne said...

my friend.. u r significant to all those that you've touched. u hv a genuine warmth that is not easily found in people.. i would say one of ur traits that comes to mind right now is your ability to bestow the art of appreciation and reflection on anyone who talks/reads your blogs. so anyone who calls u insignificant shld go look at themselves and perhaps find a brain.. ;)

Doris said...

You are very thoughtful and sweet. Thank you very much for the recognition. I'm all so touched. (*hugz)